The municipal subdivisions
Beckstein, recorded in 1298 for the first time as "Begestein", belonged to the Bishopric of Würzburg until 1803. The community is distinguished for its beauty as a winegrowing and resort town.
Deubach, documented as "Thibach" for the first time in 1252, was subject to the German Order of Teutonic Knights in Mergentheim from 1255 to 1809, then joined the Kingdom of Württemberg and remained a Württembergian enclave until 1972. The smallest community in the municipal area by population is predominantly characterized by agriculture.
Gerlachsheim, mentioned for the first time in 1209 as "Gerlagesheim", belonged to the Abbey of Gerlachsheim after 1319, which on its part was subject to the Bishop of Würzburg. In 1803, the town was included in the Principality of Krautheim and in 1806 it became a part of Baden. The town is characterised by viniculture at the junction of the Grünbach into the Tauber, and accommodates many half-timbered houses, shrines, and the splendid Holy Cross Baroque Church.
Heckfeld, mentioned for the first time in 1214 as "Hetinvelt", belonged to the dominion of Lauda until 1803. The largest town in the municipality by surface area, it has preserved its rural nature to this day and is an attractive recreational area for hikers.
Marbach, documented for the first time in 1245 as "Marchpach", belonged to the dominion of Lauda until 1803. The smallest town in the municipality by surface area, it is known as an old winegrowing region for noble wines and excellent restaurants.
Messelhausen, documented as "Messelhusen" for the first time in 1378, was subject to the signorage of Zobel von Giebelstadt until 1803, and then occupied in 1803 and 1806 by Bavaria before it also was included in Baden. The settlements of Hofstetten, Marstadt (with the popular Marstadt lake) and Sailtheim are also a part of this community.
Oberbalbach, mentioned for the first time in 1219 as "Ballenbach", belonged to several lordships simultaneously for centuries, before it became a permanent part of Baden in 1810. Its location on the upper course of the Balbach borders on Franconian Bavaria.
Oberlauda, documented as "Oberluden" for the first time in 1343, belonged to the dominion of Lauda until 1803, and today also shares a common built-up area with Lauda. A landmark is the biggest overshot mill wheel in Southern Germany.
Sachsenflur, mentioned in 1230 for the first time as "Sahsenfluhr", belonged to Electoral Palatinate and several aristocratic and bourgeois families until 1803. The jewel of the town on the Umpfer is the historical manor house.
Unterbalbach, recorded for the first time as "Ballenbach" in 1219, belonged for the most part to the German Order of Teutonic Knights in Mergentheim until 1809, and became a permanent part of Baden after 1810. The community at the junction of the Balbach into the Tauber accommodates a Jewish cemetery more than 400 years old.